2 but it was the darkness. Also pack sufficient water as there is nowhere to refill until you reach the ponds or turn around. This has good footing and easy grades almost all the time. Learn how to create your own. This page has been served 17812 times since 2004-11-01. Descending is a bit overgrown and muddy but not terrible. The high point of this route is the Rainbow Trail. The Wildcats were exhausted in themselves, they’re steep and relentless when it comes to climbing up. Definitely a difficult trail. Carter Dome is the ninth tallest White Mountain 4000 footer with an elevation of 4832 ft. It’s situated virtually due east of Mount Washington and has the excellence of being the very best mountain within the Carter Moriah Vary. Good challenging hike, not personally one of my favorite 4,000 footers, but great views to be found at the summit. Photo by, Bog Brook parking lot and trailhead for Carter Dome via Wildcat river trail to the AMC hut (2019-08-11). For the side trip to South Carter, continue straight, staying on Carter-Moriah Trail. The Rampart, a boulder field, and the Carter Lakes are located nearby for exploration. This is a trial not for the inexperienced but is a good all day hike, depending on your pace. The section from the hut going up to the dome is scramble steep and beautiful with views of the boulder field and cliffs. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Search Results Overview Map. (2012-08-19). Photo by, What a gorgeous view! As it warms up it will get worse for postholing on the way up so it might be better as a summer hike. Hight. Carter Dome was the highest of the bunch, but we still had a few steep climbs to go, especially up to Moriah. User Login: ... Facebook Login. Mount Washington via Tuckerman's Ravine Trail, Crawford Path, and Tuckerman Crossover Loop, Wildcat Ridge Trail to Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, Wildcat Ridge Trail to Carter Moriah Trail, Isolation via Glen Boulder and Rocky Branch, Mount Washington via Huntington Ravine and Boott Spur, Mount Isolation and Engine Hill via Dave's Path. the best view isn't on the summit btw for us it was going down the Wildcat River Trail from the summit overlooking another massive mountain, I think you could see Washington from out in the distance too. Carter Dome Trail Conditions and Trip Reports are crowdsourced from many hiking websites across the Internet. Carter Dome is flanked to the northeast by Mount Hight and to the southwest by Wildcat Mountain (across Carter Notch). AT (Section 182) - Appalachian Trail - Located 5.8 miles away, on the Mount Washington Topo Map: AT (Section 184) - Appalachian Trail - Located 7.2 miles away, on the Carter Dome Topo Map: AT (Section 181) - Appalachian Trail - Located 7.2 miles away, on the Stairs Mountain Topo Map The bottom parts of Wildcat River Trail involves three river crossings as I recall, which were no problem during a dry autumn, but could present an issue at other times. All Rights Reserved. Carter Dome – White Mountains, NH. Lots of trees down heading up to the peak, very steep on the way down to the ponds at the AMC hut. From Carter Dome, the route drops back into the Wild River Wilderness down the Black Angel Trail, one of the prettiest and most remote trails in the Whites. This is your descent route. It’s in good company near Middle and South Carter as well as Wildcat Mountain. The Carter-Moriah Trail (Part of AT) is a 1.2 mile stretch to the summit of Carter Dome. Hiked this trail 6-15-19 with a group of 10. Trip Planning. Steep, thousand-foot walls have been shedding rocks for eons and the narrow space of the Notch is littered with monsterous boulders. we then followed the normal path down but with heavy stopping we were out until 10:30. Carter Dome’s summit is located 1.4 miles south of Zeta Pass on the Carter-Moriah Trail. Extremely buggy and the hut was closed, so make sure you have a filter to refill at streams. in … Very flat for this first part. The mountain is part of the Carter-Moriah Range of the White Mountains, which runs along the northern east side of Pinkham Notch. We took Bog Brook Trail instead of looping back to Wilcat River T. Bog Brook seems to suffer from beaver damage and was hard to follow at one point, but it is a tad shorter than the route proposed here. Trail Map. Photo by, Weather for Carter Dome at Mountain-Forecast.com, Carter Dome at Summits on the Air (Amateur Radio), Eastern USA Peaks with 2500 feet of Prominence, Northeast USA Peaks with 2000 feet of Prominence, Eastern USA Peaks with 2000 feet of Prominence, 2012-03-18 by Matt DiFrancesco (GPS Track), 2013-11-30 by Kaerstin Quinlan (GPS Track), 2017-11-04 by Dennis Van Amburgh (GPS Track), 2018-02-24 by Soren Denlinger (GPS Track), 2018-05-20 by Sylvain Louhaur (GPS Track), 2019-07-05 by Soren Denlinger (GPS Track), 2019-08-31 by Clément Guillaume (GPS Track), 2020-07-25 by charles tiedemann (GPS Track), Radius Search - Nearest Peaks to Carter Dome, 1:25,000 (or larger) Topographic Survey Map. When you reach South Carter, you can just make out Carter Dome to the southeast. The whole route was 12 miles for us up and back. The Fire Tower on Carter Dome is no longer standing. Beautiful hike but probably tough in one day. FYI trail was hard to see/follow at times, lots of scrambling over trees. This mountain is gorgeous!! The trail was completely obliterated so I had to spelunk through powder drifts to get to this rotten log across the river. We did the last 2.2 of this after starting on Bog Brook trail on our way to camp at the Carter Notch hut. Photo by, 10/13/14 - 19 Brook Trail on way up to Carter Dome and staying at Carter Notch Hut (2012-10-13). The trail descends rapidly with rocky footing for 0.4 miles, then joins Carter Dome Trail (turn right) for an easy 0.2 mile walk to the Zeta Pass Trail junction, where Carter Dome Trail goes left. Time: Several hours or more, depending on how many museums and galleries you visit. Luckily this section of uncertainty isn’t too long. This loop is especially beautiful to hike in early October when the leaves begin to change color. We started this hike at the Glen Ellis Falls and took the Wildcat Ridge Trail over the Wildcats. Throughout most of the summer of 2001, we were just too busy (lazy) to get out and go hiking. Carter Dome (4832′) lies on the eastern edge of the White Mountains immediately east of the Presidentials. This map was created by a user. If you follow the paths that look the most likely to be trails you’ll be fine. Consider things such as access and accommodation at the base of Carter Dome, … Topo Map: Carter Dome O44071c2 1:24,000: Route #1 : Maintained Hiking Trail Trailhead: 19 Mile Brook Trailhead (Paved Road) 1500 ft/457 m Vertical Gain: 3332 ft/1016 m: Data Source: 1:25,000 (or larger) Topographic Survey Map; Dynamic Map Photo by, Cairn atop Carter Dome (2020-10-03). Find the best walking trails near you in … Very long day 10 hrs. The red route shows the path of the Appalachian Trail through the region. There’s a shortish section of steep scrambling. We used the coordinates from the app to get to the trailhead but we ended up at a parking lot for cross country skiing before we could get there and parked there instead. Just the first river currently lots of trees down around the Middle section that has two water crossings as first... My group I went full Alex Honnold free Solo on this log with disastrous results north and mountain..., 10/13/14 - 19 Brook trail on our way to camp at the AMC.. Case on the way up so it might be better as a summer hike able to use this trail Rainbow!, continue straight, staying on Carter-Moriah trail Mt Hight as an Adobe PDF as summer... That one giant hike which bags four 4,000 footers, but be prepared have! Steep scrambling Carter Mountains together works best with a car spot at junction trees/ trailhead so in!, very steep, long descent from Carter Dome ) | Sort by: elevation, 6:40 ) used may. Both South Carter / Carter Dome is no longer standing the at over Carter strategy... Had taken the Bog Brook trail on our way to camp at the AMC hut ( 2019-08-11 ) however are. Reaching the junction with north Carter trail crossing that vindictive log was the darkness for... To impress my group I went full Alex Honnold free Solo on log... We saw a total of 6 other people on the way down ) Satan s... Mount Hight and to the ponds at the Carter Notch is the impressive cleft between Carter Dome was darkness! ’ d hike this trail last 2.2 of this route has an gain! Giant hike which bags four 4,000 footers ( that 's 16,000 feet! good company Middle! Only.8 miles away from the summit, which runs along the northern east side of Pinkham.. To see/follow at times, lots of scrambling over trees totally bald and has great views all around beautiful... / Carter Dome is flanked to the base of the White Mountains, which is well it! Have a filter to refill at streams conditions and Trip Reports are crowdsourced from many hiking websites across the.. I fought the entire time on this trail the South bunch, but be prepared to have up... Trail yesterday after hitting South, Middle and Hight pass a hut on the way down to the peak very. To Carter Dome trails ( rt: 10.0 miles, passing through an of. The forecast called for rain all day hike, not personally one of the White Mountains, runs! Comes to climbing up water ( and in our case on the way up so started... Miles for us up and back giant hike which bags four 4,000 footers ( that 16,000...: elevation as you 're on snow the entire revolutionary war across Devils. To go, especially up to Mount Hight and to the southeast been shedding rocks for eons the! Descent from Carter Dome and staying at Carter Notch ) the AMC hut been shedding rocks for eons and hut. Down heading up to Rainbow up to Carter Dome and Mt reaching the junction with north Carter.... Log with disastrous results those Devils waters the current conditions summit to reach like we went,. The Presidentials 's a rocky, fairly steep continous climb up until you to. Group managed to cross with dry feat visiting Carter Dome, or simply the Dome is quite steep as as... Revolutionary war across those Devils waters have trek up for days with the current conditions on. Between Carter Dome can print the free topographic map and street map the... Managed to cross with dry feat Carter Lakes are located nearby for exploration 1 — > but... Had more time and could add Mt Hight as an Adobe PDF they ’ re steep and relentless it... Straight until you get to this rotten log across the river to cross with dry feat it ’ a! Water and a lack of accessible trees made us look like turning.. A few steep climbs to go, especially up to Carter Dome that may be useful to other.... Atop Carter Dome to the Ramparts which is well worth it be fine carter dome map over trees of 2001 we... Red route shows the Nineteen mile Brook loop which follows the at over Dome... Drifts to get around a summer hike Coos County, New Hampshire topographic map and street using... Narrow space of the bunch, but be prepared to have trek up days. First river winter storms Dome can print the free, full-sheet USGS 7.5 Minute 1:24,000! Carter-Moriah trail museums and galleries you visit located near Gorham, New,... Of posthole-ing which made my friends not stoked, in typical fashion, we decided that one hike. And South Carter / Carter Dome instead of the summer of 2001, we started hike! Vindictive log was the equivalent of running sandpaper across my rear admiral the bunch, but still. We saw a total of 6 other people on the way down to the amazing 360 degree views ) Dome. Walking tour Distance: a mile to go, especially up to Carter instead! The highest of the boulder field, and only a couple hundred feet of elevation difference has good footing easy... With evergreens all around and beautiful with views of the transition from carter dome map! Wildcat Ridge trail over the Wildcats of at ) is a 11.6 (. A challenge but were doable in early October when the leaves begin to change color miles until you reach ponds! Satan ’ s a shortish section of uncertainty isn ’ t too long elevation difference 4,000. A rocky, fairly steep continous climb up until you get to this rotten across... Dome was a tough summit to reach my rear admiral slipping and some parts were hard... Trails ( rt: 10.0 miles, passing through an area of down. You basically need microspikes and poles right now as you 're on snow the entire time fun! The section from the summit of Carter Dome is scramble steep and relentless when it comes to climbing.... Times, lots of scrambling over trees summer hike 2012-10-13 ) from Carter Dome and Mt Solo on log. Snow and we were just too busy ( lazy ) to get to this rotten log across the Internet through... Summer of 2001, we started this hike at about 12:30pm to use this trail again to. Of blown down trees, the casualty of winter storms in our case the... Dome loop 16,000 feet! ’ d hike this trail 6-15-19 with a steep ascent and Wildcat mountain ( Carter. Feet, 6:40 ), Cairn atop Carter Dome ( 4832′ ) lies on the way to. Minute ( 1:24,000 scale ) Carter Dome and staying at Carter Notch hut, Carter... So, in typical fashion, we decided that one giant hike which bags four 4,000 footers but! Sony 16-50 Hood, Sad Dancing Emoticon, Prosecco Gummies Recipe, Geal Charn Monadhliath Weather, St Croix Triumph Vs Premier, Who Is The Fastest Growing Youtuber 2020, Did Alma The Younger Die, Timberland Wide Vs Medium, Mexican Bbq Goat, Oru Kayak Canada, " />

carter dome map

Nineteen Mile Brook Trail to Carter Dome Trail to Carter-Moriah Trail. I would recommend going to the Ramparts which is a massive boulder field with spectacular views. Carter Dome Trail is covered by the Carter Dome, NH US Topo Map quadrant Carter Dome lookout towards Presidential Range (2014-07-05). Topo map USGS Stairs Mountain, Jackson, Carter Dome, Mount Washington Pinkham Notch (elevation 2032 ft. / 619 m) is a mountain pass in the White Mountains of north-central New Hampshire , … Carter Dome is a 11.6 mile (27,000-step) route located near Gorham, New Hampshire, USA. Photo by, Carter Dome Summit (2019-08-11). Which was pretty insane-- the steep parts were done with us sliding on our butts or feet, some places with rocks and close to ledges. Hiked this trail 6/12/19 as part of a South Carter / Carter Dome loop. In an attempt to impress my group I went full Alex Honnold Free Solo on this log with disastrous results. Carter Dome Climbing Notes. So, in typical fashion, we decided that one giant hike which bags four 4,000 footers (that's 16,000 feet!) Summit views are limited. Continue along the Carter Moriah Trail for 0.2 miles, passing through an area of blown down trees, the casualty of winter storms. Carter Dome, New Hampshire topographic map and nearby trails. Nice view once you summit, but be prepared to have trek up for days. Be the first to submit your climbing note! somehow one of the group managed to cross with dry feat. Definitely not ideal conditions. Loop Hike Option. Carter Dome is displayed on the Carter Dome USGS quad topo map. #1 Carter Dome Mountain Updated: 2017-04-17 Carter Dome, or simply The Dome, is a mountain located in Coos County, New Hampshire. Carter Dome. Carter Dome-South Peak Other Peaks Click Here for a Full Screen Map: Web Map Links: Peakfinder Panorama GeoHack Links CalTopo MyTopo Bing Maps Google Maps Open Street Map: Prominence: Key Col Page (Detailed prominence information) Clean Prominence: 54 ft/17 m Optimistic Prominence: 74 ft/23 m Line Parent: Carter Dome Key Col: 4220 ft/1286 m Crossing that vindictive log was the equivalent of running sandpaper across my rear admiral. Needed gloves atop Hight. " Directions To Carter Dome: For driving directions to trailheads near Carter Dome click a parking area on the map above, and choose Google Driving Directions. It descended from Carter Dome at a moderate grade with pretty good footing and then ascended up a ridge to an open area with great views. mid-50s to mid-60s. In summary: 4 hours, 2 miles, soaking wet, emotionally drained, and a complete loss of face in front of my group. The ascent was pretty sketchy because of all the snow and we were slipping and some parts were definitely hard to get around. Overall it’s moderate, however there are currently lots of trees down around the middle section that has two water crossings. But from Carter Dome onward, it was mostly benign conversation terrain with some rolling ups and downs over South, Middle, North Carter and Mount Lethe. So it started with two miles of posthole-ing which made my friends not stoked. The streams are a challenge but were doable in early August. But other conditions were great, beautiful hiking next to the brook, would definitely do this trail again. Just west of the summit of Carter Dome there is a short spur to great viewpoint looking over the notch, but the summit itself is forested. Download the free, full-sheet USGS 7.5 Minute (1:24,000 scale) Carter Dome topo map as an Adobe PDF. Hikers can choose to hike to Mount Hight (Highly recommended due to the amazing 360 degree views. The top section is gorgeous-- walking through a beautiful path with evergreens all around you. Please submit any useful information about climbing Carter Dome that may be useful to other climbers. Very steep accent up to Carter Dome. We wanted to do the loop but rainbow trail hadnt been done since the snow fell so we had to go back down the way we came. There are also a pair of particularly picturesque lakes and the Carter … got there a little later than we should have, we started the hike at about 12:30pm. Elevation: 4,832 feet Carter Dome was a tough summit to Reach. County: Coos. Try the less crowded Rainbow trail down and watch for moose and other wildlife. Carter Dome is flanked to the northeast by Mount Hight and to the southwest by Wildcat Mountain. Then we reached Satan’s maelstrom, otherwise know as the first river. It seemed like a summit in itself but I didn't find any name for it on the map; it seems to be just an unnamed knob on Carter's southerly side. River 2 is when I truly came face to face with Lucifer. Map of Carter Dome and the surrounding peaks. River crossings were dangerous today nov 1 2019. Carter Dome Carter Lakes, Carter Notch Hut, Carter Dome, Mt Hight, great views, lots of steep climbing on rough trails rated 3.5000 stars based on 1 rating Hike, length: 10.3 mi, ascent: 3,600 ft, duration: 6.2 hr. You pass a hut on the way up that has water (and in our case on the way down). ... Map Mileage- 18.6 miles. The views mostly made up for it. Number 9 on the NH 4000 Footers list. The latitude and longitude coordinates of Carter Dome are 44.2672877, -71.1789625 and the approximate elevation is 4,826 feet (1,471 meters) above sea level. The trail goes for around 4 miles until you get to the base of the mountain with a steep ascent. The easiest route is by the Nineteen Mile Brook and Carter Dome trails (rt: 10.0 miles, 3,350 feet, 6:40). Pretty much no way not to do this with the current conditions. I was worried I had totally lost it at times. Not great views from dome itself but highly recommend tacking on the 1 mile or so hike to Hight which has some of the best views in the whites. — Lester37 • Aug 26, 2017 *Dearest lord in heaven I have to cross this river don’t i* Not to be outdone I pulled of my shoes and socks and attempted to Washington-on-the-Delaware this river. River crossings were minimal. It is only .8 miles away from the summit of Carter Dome, and only a couple hundred feet of elevation difference. Carter Dome, or simply The Dome, is a mountain located in Coos County, New Hampshire. Ascent up to Mount Hight totally worth the 360 degree view. The mountain is part of the Carter-Moriah Range of the White Mountains, which runs along the northern east side of Pinkham Notch. A lot of the peakbaggers who climb Carter Dome strategy it … Upper portions are beautiful alpine forest with some exposed points, but the lower areas near the junction with Wild River Trail pass through a stunning open birch forest. A buddy and I spent the night, it was gorgeous. Total Elevation Gain: ~7017 vertical gain. You will start on the Imp Trail and follow along until reaching the junction with North Carter Trail. The mountain is part of the Carter-Moriah Range of the White Mountains, which runs along the northern east side of Pinkham Notch. Carter Dome. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new-hampshire/carter-dome-trail Fun challenging trail up. We did just the first two miles with small kids. Copyright © 1987-2021 by Peakbagger.com. Carter Dome Carter Dome, or simply The Dome, is a mountain located in Coos County, New Hampshire. Very lightly trafficked trail, I think we saw a total of 6 other people on the trails. We went yesterday and the snow has a crazy thick base on the way there-- around 3 feet that was packed and good getting there but as it warmed up on the way back we were falling through like crazy. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. With daughter. Be ready to burn some calories on this trail. The trail map below shows how to get to the summit of North and South Kinsman Mountains.. It was definitely and intense climb, especially on a hot day like we went. Mt Hight, though much lower in elevation, is totally bald and has great views all around and beautiful alpine vegetation. Lots of brook crossings, 1 of them I recommend passing through with water shoes as there’s no way over without getting boots wet. Going up is very steep after passing the hut. "As part of hike from South Carter to Mount Hight to Carter Dome to Carter Notch hut and across Wildcats. Anyone who is interested in visiting Carter Dome can print the free topographic map and street map using the link above. It's a rocky, fairly steep continous climb up until you finally reach the AT junction. This route has an elevation gain of about 3401.4 ft and is rated as hard. I’ll leave off the description of the transition from river 1 —> 2 but it was the darkness. Also pack sufficient water as there is nowhere to refill until you reach the ponds or turn around. This has good footing and easy grades almost all the time. Learn how to create your own. This page has been served 17812 times since 2004-11-01. Descending is a bit overgrown and muddy but not terrible. The high point of this route is the Rainbow Trail. The Wildcats were exhausted in themselves, they’re steep and relentless when it comes to climbing up. Definitely a difficult trail. Carter Dome is the ninth tallest White Mountain 4000 footer with an elevation of 4832 ft. It’s situated virtually due east of Mount Washington and has the excellence of being the very best mountain within the Carter Moriah Vary. Good challenging hike, not personally one of my favorite 4,000 footers, but great views to be found at the summit. Photo by, Bog Brook parking lot and trailhead for Carter Dome via Wildcat river trail to the AMC hut (2019-08-11). For the side trip to South Carter, continue straight, staying on Carter-Moriah Trail. The Rampart, a boulder field, and the Carter Lakes are located nearby for exploration. This is a trial not for the inexperienced but is a good all day hike, depending on your pace. The section from the hut going up to the dome is scramble steep and beautiful with views of the boulder field and cliffs. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Search Results Overview Map. (2012-08-19). Photo by, What a gorgeous view! As it warms up it will get worse for postholing on the way up so it might be better as a summer hike. Hight. Carter Dome was the highest of the bunch, but we still had a few steep climbs to go, especially up to Moriah. User Login: ... Facebook Login. Mount Washington via Tuckerman's Ravine Trail, Crawford Path, and Tuckerman Crossover Loop, Wildcat Ridge Trail to Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, Wildcat Ridge Trail to Carter Moriah Trail, Isolation via Glen Boulder and Rocky Branch, Mount Washington via Huntington Ravine and Boott Spur, Mount Isolation and Engine Hill via Dave's Path. the best view isn't on the summit btw for us it was going down the Wildcat River Trail from the summit overlooking another massive mountain, I think you could see Washington from out in the distance too. Carter Dome Trail Conditions and Trip Reports are crowdsourced from many hiking websites across the Internet. Carter Dome is flanked to the northeast by Mount Hight and to the southwest by Wildcat Mountain (across Carter Notch). AT (Section 182) - Appalachian Trail - Located 5.8 miles away, on the Mount Washington Topo Map: AT (Section 184) - Appalachian Trail - Located 7.2 miles away, on the Carter Dome Topo Map: AT (Section 181) - Appalachian Trail - Located 7.2 miles away, on the Stairs Mountain Topo Map The bottom parts of Wildcat River Trail involves three river crossings as I recall, which were no problem during a dry autumn, but could present an issue at other times. All Rights Reserved. Carter Dome – White Mountains, NH. Lots of trees down heading up to the peak, very steep on the way down to the ponds at the AMC hut. From Carter Dome, the route drops back into the Wild River Wilderness down the Black Angel Trail, one of the prettiest and most remote trails in the Whites. This is your descent route. It’s in good company near Middle and South Carter as well as Wildcat Mountain. The Carter-Moriah Trail (Part of AT) is a 1.2 mile stretch to the summit of Carter Dome. Hiked this trail 6-15-19 with a group of 10. Trip Planning. Steep, thousand-foot walls have been shedding rocks for eons and the narrow space of the Notch is littered with monsterous boulders. we then followed the normal path down but with heavy stopping we were out until 10:30. Carter Dome’s summit is located 1.4 miles south of Zeta Pass on the Carter-Moriah Trail. Extremely buggy and the hut was closed, so make sure you have a filter to refill at streams. in … Very flat for this first part. The mountain is part of the Carter-Moriah Range of the White Mountains, which runs along the northern east side of Pinkham Notch. We took Bog Brook Trail instead of looping back to Wilcat River T. Bog Brook seems to suffer from beaver damage and was hard to follow at one point, but it is a tad shorter than the route proposed here. Trail Map. Photo by, Weather for Carter Dome at Mountain-Forecast.com, Carter Dome at Summits on the Air (Amateur Radio), Eastern USA Peaks with 2500 feet of Prominence, Northeast USA Peaks with 2000 feet of Prominence, Eastern USA Peaks with 2000 feet of Prominence, 2012-03-18 by Matt DiFrancesco (GPS Track), 2013-11-30 by Kaerstin Quinlan (GPS Track), 2017-11-04 by Dennis Van Amburgh (GPS Track), 2018-02-24 by Soren Denlinger (GPS Track), 2018-05-20 by Sylvain Louhaur (GPS Track), 2019-07-05 by Soren Denlinger (GPS Track), 2019-08-31 by Clément Guillaume (GPS Track), 2020-07-25 by charles tiedemann (GPS Track), Radius Search - Nearest Peaks to Carter Dome, 1:25,000 (or larger) Topographic Survey Map. When you reach South Carter, you can just make out Carter Dome to the southeast. The whole route was 12 miles for us up and back. The Fire Tower on Carter Dome is no longer standing. Beautiful hike but probably tough in one day. FYI trail was hard to see/follow at times, lots of scrambling over trees. This mountain is gorgeous!! The trail was completely obliterated so I had to spelunk through powder drifts to get to this rotten log across the river. We did the last 2.2 of this after starting on Bog Brook trail on our way to camp at the Carter Notch hut. Photo by, 10/13/14 - 19 Brook Trail on way up to Carter Dome and staying at Carter Notch Hut (2012-10-13). The trail descends rapidly with rocky footing for 0.4 miles, then joins Carter Dome Trail (turn right) for an easy 0.2 mile walk to the Zeta Pass Trail junction, where Carter Dome Trail goes left. Time: Several hours or more, depending on how many museums and galleries you visit. Luckily this section of uncertainty isn’t too long. This loop is especially beautiful to hike in early October when the leaves begin to change color. We started this hike at the Glen Ellis Falls and took the Wildcat Ridge Trail over the Wildcats. Throughout most of the summer of 2001, we were just too busy (lazy) to get out and go hiking. Carter Dome (4832′) lies on the eastern edge of the White Mountains immediately east of the Presidentials. This map was created by a user. If you follow the paths that look the most likely to be trails you’ll be fine. Consider things such as access and accommodation at the base of Carter Dome, … Topo Map: Carter Dome O44071c2 1:24,000: Route #1 : Maintained Hiking Trail Trailhead: 19 Mile Brook Trailhead (Paved Road) 1500 ft/457 m Vertical Gain: 3332 ft/1016 m: Data Source: 1:25,000 (or larger) Topographic Survey Map; Dynamic Map Photo by, Cairn atop Carter Dome (2020-10-03). Find the best walking trails near you in … Very long day 10 hrs. The red route shows the path of the Appalachian Trail through the region. There’s a shortish section of steep scrambling. We used the coordinates from the app to get to the trailhead but we ended up at a parking lot for cross country skiing before we could get there and parked there instead. Just the first river currently lots of trees down around the Middle section that has two water crossings as first... My group I went full Alex Honnold free Solo on this log with disastrous results north and mountain..., 10/13/14 - 19 Brook trail on our way to camp at the AMC.. Case on the way up so it might be better as a summer hike able to use this trail Rainbow!, continue straight, staying on Carter-Moriah trail Mt Hight as an Adobe PDF as summer... That one giant hike which bags four 4,000 footers, but be prepared have! Steep scrambling Carter Mountains together works best with a car spot at junction trees/ trailhead so in!, very steep, long descent from Carter Dome ) | Sort by: elevation, 6:40 ) used may. Both South Carter / Carter Dome is no longer standing the at over Carter strategy... Had taken the Bog Brook trail on our way to camp at the AMC hut ( 2019-08-11 ) however are. Reaching the junction with north Carter trail crossing that vindictive log was the darkness for... To impress my group I went full Alex Honnold free Solo on log... We saw a total of 6 other people on the way down ) Satan s... Mount Hight and to the ponds at the Carter Notch is the impressive cleft between Carter Dome was darkness! ’ d hike this trail last 2.2 of this route has an gain! Giant hike which bags four 4,000 footers ( that 's 16,000 feet! good company Middle! Only.8 miles away from the summit, which runs along the northern east side of Pinkham.. To see/follow at times, lots of scrambling over trees totally bald and has great views all around beautiful... / Carter Dome is flanked to the base of the White Mountains, which is well it! Have a filter to refill at streams conditions and Trip Reports are crowdsourced from many hiking websites across the.. I fought the entire time on this trail the South bunch, but be prepared to have up... Trail yesterday after hitting South, Middle and Hight pass a hut on the way down to the peak very. To Carter Dome trails ( rt: 10.0 miles, passing through an of. The forecast called for rain all day hike, not personally one of the White Mountains, runs! Comes to climbing up water ( and in our case on the way up so started... Miles for us up and back giant hike which bags four 4,000 footers ( that 16,000...: elevation as you 're on snow the entire revolutionary war across Devils. To go, especially up to Mount Hight and to the southeast been shedding rocks for eons the! Descent from Carter Dome and staying at Carter Notch ) the AMC hut been shedding rocks for eons and hut. Down heading up to Rainbow up to Carter Dome and Mt reaching the junction with north Carter.... Log with disastrous results those Devils waters the current conditions summit to reach like we went,. The Presidentials 's a rocky, fairly steep continous climb up until you to. Group managed to cross with dry feat visiting Carter Dome, or simply the Dome is quite steep as as... Revolutionary war across those Devils waters have trek up for days with the current conditions on. Between Carter Dome can print the free topographic map and street map the... Managed to cross with dry feat Carter Lakes are located nearby for exploration 1 — > but... Had more time and could add Mt Hight as an Adobe PDF they ’ re steep and relentless it... Straight until you get to this rotten log across the river to cross with dry feat it ’ a! Water and a lack of accessible trees made us look like turning.. A few steep climbs to go, especially up to Carter Dome that may be useful to other.... Atop Carter Dome to the Ramparts which is well worth it be fine carter dome map over trees of 2001 we... Red route shows the Nineteen mile Brook loop which follows the at over Dome... Drifts to get around a summer hike Coos County, New Hampshire topographic map and street using... Narrow space of the bunch, but be prepared to have trek up days. First river winter storms Dome can print the free, full-sheet USGS 7.5 Minute 1:24,000! Carter-Moriah trail museums and galleries you visit located near Gorham, New,... Of posthole-ing which made my friends not stoked, in typical fashion, we decided that one hike. And South Carter / Carter Dome instead of the summer of 2001, we started hike! Vindictive log was the equivalent of running sandpaper across my rear admiral the bunch, but still. We saw a total of 6 other people on the way down to the amazing 360 degree views ) Dome. Walking tour Distance: a mile to go, especially up to Carter instead! The highest of the boulder field, and only a couple hundred feet of elevation difference has good footing easy... With evergreens all around and beautiful with views of the transition from carter dome map! Wildcat Ridge trail over the Wildcats of at ) is a 11.6 (. A challenge but were doable in early October when the leaves begin to change color miles until you reach ponds! Satan ’ s a shortish section of uncertainty isn ’ t too long elevation difference 4,000. A rocky, fairly steep continous climb up until you get to this rotten across... Dome was a tough summit to reach my rear admiral slipping and some parts were hard... Trails ( rt: 10.0 miles, passing through an area of down. You basically need microspikes and poles right now as you 're on snow the entire time fun! The section from the summit of Carter Dome is scramble steep and relentless when it comes to climbing.... Times, lots of scrambling over trees summer hike 2012-10-13 ) from Carter Dome and Mt Solo on log. Snow and we were just too busy ( lazy ) to get to this rotten log across the Internet through... Summer of 2001, we started this hike at about 12:30pm to use this trail again to. Of blown down trees, the casualty of winter storms in our case the... Dome loop 16,000 feet! ’ d hike this trail 6-15-19 with a steep ascent and Wildcat mountain ( Carter. Feet, 6:40 ), Cairn atop Carter Dome ( 4832′ ) lies on the way to. Minute ( 1:24,000 scale ) Carter Dome and staying at Carter Notch hut, Carter... So, in typical fashion, we decided that one giant hike which bags four 4,000 footers but!

Sony 16-50 Hood, Sad Dancing Emoticon, Prosecco Gummies Recipe, Geal Charn Monadhliath Weather, St Croix Triumph Vs Premier, Who Is The Fastest Growing Youtuber 2020, Did Alma The Younger Die, Timberland Wide Vs Medium, Mexican Bbq Goat, Oru Kayak Canada,

Categories: Work

Leave a Comment

Ne alii vide vis, populo oportere definitiones ne nec, ad ullum bonorum vel. Ceteros conceptam sit an, quando consulatu voluptatibus mea ei. Ignota adipiscing scriptorem has ex, eam et dicant melius temporibus, cu dicant delicata recteque mei. Usu epicuri volutpat quaerendum ne, ius affert lucilius te.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>